It appears that you're using a severely outdated version of Safari on Windows. Many features won't work correctly, and functionality can't be guaranteed. Please try viewing this website in Edge, Mozilla, Chrome, or another modern browser. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused!Read More about this safari issue.
It’s that time again! Summer’s winding down, vacation is a pleasant memory, and the school buses are making their rounds. Kids dash through the door after school with chatter full of stories of first days, first weeks, and new friends, but their bellies empty. So this month we’re highlighting recipes of great after-school snacks from the ‘Penny’s Picks’ section of our ‘What’s Cookin’ at First Security’ Cookbook. This delightful section contains recipes submitted by kids, so we know your kids will love them!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
½ cup peanut butter
½ cup vanilla yogurt
½ cup raisins
¼ cup chocolate chips
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Mix together.
2. Serve with pretzels, apple slices, or other sliced fruits and vegetables.
Calories from Fat: 178
Carbohydrates: 29.5 grams
Protein: 11.2 grams
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Servings: Six (2 cup)
1/3 to ½ cups unpopped popcorn
½ cup butter
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1. Pop popcorn.
2. Into a large bowl, pour 3 quarts of popped popcorn.
3. Melt butter and pour over popcorn.
4. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon.
5. Pour brown sugar and cinnamon mixture over popcorn and stir until coated OR pour popcorn and brown sugar mixture into a large paper bag, seal tightly and shake until coated.
Calories from Fat: 145
Carbohydrates: 18.9 grams
Protein: 2.3 grams
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 6 Kabobs
18 cubes of watermelon
6 ounces turkey breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
6 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
6 bamboo skewers or plastic coffee stirring straws (6 inch)
1. Alternate cubes of watermelon between cubes of turkey and cheese on skewers.
2. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Calories from Fat: 89
Carbohydrates: 1.5 grams
Protein: 11.9 grams
Employees and customers of First Security Bank have contributed their favorite recipes to What’s Cookin’ at First Security, a cookbook that benefits Arkansas Foodbank. They feature over 2,000 recipes and are available at any First Security Bank location for $20.
Sign up for our weekly e-news.
Get stories sent straight to your inbox!